Hello and welcome back to now Natalie! It is now officially spring and I could not be more excited. The weather is gorgeous and I just want to spend all my time outside enjoying the sun. The problem with this is…I still have a ton of things I need to get done. I have to focus my energy somehow. So, here are my top five tips for increasing my productivity.
- Wake up early. I am not a morning person by any degree. In fact, my morning face is so terrible that people ask me if I’m angry. My response is always the same. “I’m not angry, this is my morning face.” Recently, however, I have been waking up at 5am to start off my day and I cannot explain to you how much of a difference this has made. Spending alone time before the world is awake is absolutely amazing. My routine is typically, make coffee and toast, brush my teeth, spend time doing Bible reading, and work on a couple of projects while listening to a podcast. Find a routine that works for you and I promise once you get into the swing of things waking up this early will be a breeze for you. Waking up early has definitely helped me get a lot more work done than I usually do. Try it for at least seven days. You’ll notice the difference.
- Have a clean space to get work done. There is nothing more annoying than trying to get work done when your desk and surrounding area is a mess. I don’t know about you, but if I try to get work done when my work space is in chaos nothing good comes out of it. So before you sit down to work on that paper or finish that project you waited til the last minute to complete, clean up your space. Throw out those empty water bottles, wipe down those surfaces, turn on some wordless music, and get busy.
- Do your projects in a whole. Cleaning out your closet, washing the dishes, clearing your inbox…these are all things I despise. It helps me to just set a time and get it done. No breaks in between just full on, head first, completely determined to get this annoying task out of the way. Once its done, you can feel accomplished and also not have to worry about this for a little while. So go do something you enjoy.
- Plan a break after you finish a task. While I’m working on getting things done, I find that I get distracted very easily. By planning out a certain fun thing for me to do after I finish a project, I encourage myself to just get the work done so I can move on to something I enjoy.
- TURN YOUR PHONE OFF. This goes without saying, but the biggest distraction when I am trying to get work done is my phone. Why have I been scrolling through animal conservation videos for twenty minutes? Also, may I just say, those Snapchat filters are addicting. When I am really trying to be productive, I’ll turn my phone on Do Not Disturb and put it in my drawer until I’m done with whatever I’m supposed to be doing.
I hope this list was helpful to you all! I’m curious as to how you increase your productivity. I’d love to know so feel free to comment below. That’s it for now. Happy Spring! Go get active today and don’t forget to live in the moment that is happening NOW.